Way of Truth Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Way of Truth Forums

A Forum Site For Christians Seeking the Way of Truth

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The "Age To Come"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomL
Admin
TomL

The "Age To Come" Empty
PostSubject: The "Age To Come"   The "Age To Come" EmptySun May 13, 2012 8:52 am

There isn't much to go on in Scripture reagrding the "age to come." When I say "age to come," I am referring to the age after the coming of Christ. The coming of Christ having ushered in an everlasting age, one that would never end.

I will share the few Scriptures I have found the "age to come." The first is Matthew 19.28, which states in the New Century Version, "Jesus said to them, 'I tell you the truth, when the age to come has arrived, the Son of Man will sit on his great throne. All of you who followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.'"

At quick glance, it seems according to this passage that the judging of the twelve tribes of Israel would be in the "age to come," when the apostles would be occupying the twelve thrones.

Next is Mark 10.30, "who shall not receive a hundredfold now in this time—houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions—and in the age to come, eternal life."

And Luke 18.30, "who shall not receive many times more in this present time, and in the age to come eternal life.”

As parallel verses, these appear to be talking about rewards people would receive for leaving their family and friends, houses, etc., for the cause of the gospel and the kingdom. Reward not only in the present time but also in the age to come. I'm not sure, but I don't think that involves anyone alive today. I do think Jesus was speaking of the apostles.

Next is Ephesians 1.20-23.

"which He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, far above all principality and power and might and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in that which is to come. And He put all things under His feet, and gave Him to be head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all."

This, of course, establishes the authority of Christ not only in the contemporaneous age, but also in a future age. That is, future to the time this passage was written, not future to now.

Next is Hebrews 6.4-6.

"For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame."

This is regarding people who have been enlightened, etc., and that have tasted the powers of the age to come. Once again, this does not seem to include anyone alive today, as we are in the age to come; unless there is another age to come besides the one we are in, but this one has no end.

That's it. All the Scriptures I have found that deal with the term, "age to come." From these, the only thing that can be said for sure is that Christ has all authority in this age as in the age before. With this being the case, how should we then live? Should we not be obedient to Christ, in those commands that were to those in the church and those who are kingdom subjects?

Now it's your turn.
Back to top Go down
http://line2016.freeforums.net

The "Age To Come"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Way of Truth Forums  :: WAY OF TRUTH Christian Forums :: Bible Prophecy Forum-
Jump to: