Way of Truth Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Way of Truth Forums

A Forum Site For Christians Seeking the Way of Truth

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Consumation of the Ages

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomL
Admin
TomL

Consumation of the Ages Empty
PostSubject: Consumation of the Ages   Consumation of the Ages EmptyWed May 30, 2012 3:48 am

While at the library recently, I decided to see if they had any books about prophecy, besides the prevailing belief of a future rapture, resurrection and coming of Christ. They did. I found a book called, "RAPTURE: The End-Times Error That Leaves The Bible Behind," by David B. Currie.

I seldom read an entire book, and I saw no reason in this book to break with my tradition. I generally read three things. The preface, if any, and the foreword, if any, and the conclusion the author makes. Then I decide if the book merits a full reading. This one doesn't.

This book postulates the idea that, yes indeed the Jewish age came to an end in 70 AD, and Christ did indeed return for judgement of Israel, and that there is a greater fulfillment sometime in the future when the world will come to an end. The problem with this idea is that it's false. The Scriptures never comes close to indicating a double and greater fulfillment. In fact, it is the complete opposite.

And yes, I have a reason for what I just stated. The reason is found in Hebrews. Is it my imagination, or do many who believe in a future fulfillment of prophecy ignore the book of Hebrews?

First, Hebrews 1.1&2 states, "God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world." This passage of Scripture plainly states that Jesus lived in the "last days."

Then Hebrews 9.26 states, "Otherwise, He would have needed to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now once at the consummation of the ages He has been manifested to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself." Both quoted passages of Scripture are from the New American Standard Version. I like the way Hebrews 9.26 reads in the NASV. It is closer to the Greek than any other translation I know of. This verse tells us that Christ was crucified "at the CONSUMATION OF THE AGES." The word "consumation" indicates not just a mere ending of one age, but the completion of all the ages. There are no more endings, no more completions. You can't end or complete eternity. Those of us who are in Christ, who is an eternal being, are also in an eternal kingdom. This is why we speak of eternal destinations. I can't tell you how many times I heard the question asked of someone, "Where will you spend eternity." I even heard fundamentalist pastors ask that question. But, why ask that question if we are not in an eternal age? And if Christ had not returned as of now, how can we have an eternal destination since we are not yet in an eternal age?

By the way, David Currie, the author of the book was raised a fundamentalist, then became a Catholic, poor fella.

And I must also give credit to biblegateway.com, from where I copied and pasted the two quotes from Hebrews.

The book of Hebrews is about two covenants. One, ready to pass away, the other, an everlasting/eternal covenant (13.20). Which covenant are we under? The old, passing away covenant, or the new, everlasting/eternal covenant? If the everlasting/eternal covenant, then are we not also in the everlasting/eternal kingdom? If so, how is that possible since Christ had not come to deliver his kingdom to earth? Or are we living in limbo with no covenant?

The book from the library is from the Catholic point of view. What they do is try to merge fulfilled prophecy and unfulfilled prophecy in one doctrine. They have been merging truth with lies for a long time. It stands to reason that they would try to merge two doctrines of prophecy. One true doctrine and one false doctrine. They probably believe they have an eternal cake. The first people in history to have a cake and eat it too.
study
Back to top Go down
http://line2016.freeforums.net

Consumation of the Ages
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Way of Truth Forums  :: WAY OF TRUTH Christian Forums :: Bible Prophecy Forum-
Jump to: