Way of Truth Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Way of Truth Forums

A Forum Site For Christians Seeking the Way of Truth

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Christmas, Catholic by Name, Pagan by Practice

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomL
Admin
TomL

Christmas, Catholic by Name, Pagan by Practice Empty
PostChristmas, Catholic by Name, Pagan by Practice

CHRISTMAS
CATHOLIC BY NAME, PAGAN BY PRACTICE

by Thomas D. Lineaweaver

PREFACE

This is probably the subject I have studied the most in my life as a Christian.

There was a time when I too was a Christmas celebrant.  It was my favorite time of the year.  There seemed to be so much good will among people at this time of the year.  But, even as a young boy I had some curiosities.  For example, How did Santa get down our chimney?  If he came down the back chimney, he would wind up in a coal stove in the kitchen.  And, if he came down the front chimney, he would wind up in an oil heatrola.  We had no fireplace.  Dad told me that Santa came in the window at our house.  That did not make any sense.  Of course dad lied to me.

Well of course dad lied to me.  And I knew it.  Just as parents all over lie to their children.  I do not normally shop on "Black Friday," as it is called.  But, this year I got paid on Black Friday.  I went to a local department store.  While there, I heard a lady tell a young girl, who was not being very obedient, that Santa was watching her.  And she said that Santa was just there, and now he is running down the aisle.  Then the young girl complied.  I felt like saying something, but I didn't.  

I have studied about Christmas rather extensively.  So, I have decided to share what I have learned in this little booklet.

SCRIPTURE READING
English Standard Version

Luke 2:1-20

"In those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be registered. This was the first registration when Quirinius was governor of Syria. And all went to be registered, each to his own town. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, from the town of Nazereth, to Judea, to the city of David, to be registered with Mary, his betrothed, who was with child. And while they were there, the time came for her to give birth. And she gave birth to her first-born son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths, and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.

And in the same region there were shepherds in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with fear. And the angel said to them, 'Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.' And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly hosts praising God and saying,

'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased.'

When the angels went away from them into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, 'Let us go over to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has made known to us.' And they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph and the baby lying in a manger. And when they saw it, they made known the saying that had been told them concerning this child. And all who heard it wondered at what the shepherds told them. But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart. And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them."

WHAT PEOPLE THINK ABOUT

It's that time of the year again, and people are, supposedly, thinking about the birth of Christ. But, is that true? Thinking controls what people do. So, by what people do we can tell what they're thinking. Before you do a thing you generally think about it first. And, you may have thought about something for a long time. That's called premeditation. Some things we do become routine, like getting out of bed in the morning. Although, as you get older, sometimes that takes more thought than it use to. Somethings we do, and situations we get ourselves into demand quick responses. But, most of what we do happens in our head before we act. This is also true for what we speak, although we think less about what we say than what we do. Speaking is somewhat different than actions. Speaking often demands quick responses which are based more on what we already know than what we're thinking at the moment. But, there are those who are more contemplative about what they say.

With this in mind, can we say for certain that people are thinking about the birth of Christ? I believe the contrary is true. Most people are likely thinking about the gifts they're going to buy. They are probably also thinking about the gifts they wish to receive. A vast majority of Americans are doing something called, "Christmas shopping." My question is this, just how is Christmas shopping connected to the birth of Christ? Both Matthew and Luke tell us the story of the birth of Christ. Forgive me, but I just don't see Christmas shopping in any of those two Biblical accounts. Nor can we find Christmas shopping in any of the Old Testament prophecies regarding the birth of the Messiah. Therefore, it is a Biblical fact that Christmas shopping is not connected in any way to the birth of Christ. So, how can one be thinking about the birth of Christ when they are Christmas shopping?

I will admit that the mind is very complex. People can be thinking about more than one thing at a time. But, there are dominant thoughts and recessive thoughts. Dominant thoughts are what controls our actions. Recessive thoughts generally come and go. One may come across a representation of the birth of Christ, called a nativity scene, and for a moment are reminded of the birth of Christ. But as soon as they resume their shopping activity, the more dominant thought takes over again and pushes any thought of the birth of Christ into the proverbial "back of the mind," if not out of the mind completely. Their thinking continues to be the gifts they want to buy and receive.

If Christmas shopping is connected to the birth of Christ, wouldn't Christmas shopping always cause us to think about the birth of Christ, or the birth of Christ always cause us to think about shopping? Considering this, what do you think about when you go to church Christmas eve? Do you think about Christ and all he did for us? Or is your mind on shopping? Is it proper to think about shopping while you're in a church service to commemorate the birth of Christ? Therefore, where is the connection of shopping to the birth of Christ?

I remember, back in the day when I was a Christmas celebrant, in my teen years, one of my dominant thoughts during this season was getting that special girl under the mistletoe, and there is certainly no connection of that with the birth of Christ. Yet, that is a part of the Christmas tradition. Of course, when I was younger, I couldn't wait to see what Santa put under the tree for me. This also has no connection to the birth of Christ, yet it too is still part of the Christmas tradition. Getting the girl under the mistletoe, looking for what Santa left under the tree for me, were my dominant thoughts during those years as a Christmas celebrant. The birth of Christ was a recessive thought. Even becoming a Christian didn't change that right away.

Eventually, I met people who had very different dominant thoughts at Christmas than mine. And after many, many hours of studying, my dominant thoughts at Christmas time are very much different. The birth of Christ became to me the blessed event it was always meant to be. The birth of Christ means more to me than what I can get under a tree, or that special girl I can get under the mistletoe. The birth of Christ means more to me than an economic shot in the arm for retailers. But then, I am no longer a Christmas celebrant. I came to the understanding that it is impossible, if you think of the birth of Christ as you should, as the Bible indicates, to be a Christmas celebrant. There is not one ritual people do at Christmas time that is in any way, not even remotely, connected to the birth of Christ. Not shopping, caroling, staying home from school or work, getting girls under the mistletoe, rushing to see what's under the tree, getting drunk at "Christmas" parties, seeing Santa at the mall, putting trees in our homes and decking them with all kinds of decorations, etc. There is absolutely no connection of these things to the birth of Christ. If you can find it, I'd like to see it. Show it to me.

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS

What is in the Bible regarding the birth of Christ? First of all, let's look at the prophecies. Isaiah 9 beginning at verse 6 states, "For unto us a child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government and peace There will be no end, Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, To order it and establish it with judgment and justice From that time forward, even forever. The zeal of the LORD will perform this" - Isaiah 9.6&7 - NKJV - Isaiah 7.14 states, "Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold. the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel." - NKJV - In these verses of scripture, is there any connection of the birth of Christ to what is called Christmas? I don't see any. Not one mention of shopping, Christmas trees, mistletoe, wreaths, gifts under a tree, etc. Therefore, we can't get Christmas out of Biblical prophecies regarding the birth of Christ.

Matthew and Luke tell us of the fulfillment of these prophecies. In these two accounts I see nothing that connects the birth of Christ with what is called Christmas. If you can see it, please share this with me.

However, there are some things I see that happened surrounding the birth of Christ that people wouldn't want to do at Christmas. Paying taxes, and being registered comes to mind. Luke 2.1 in the King James Version states, "And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed." The New King James uses the word, "registered," instead of "taxed," while the New American Standard uses the word "census." Whether taxation, registration, or census, none are being done in the modern, worldly, religious celebration of the birth of Christ called Christmas. Imagine, if the United States government would pass a law providing that every citizen of the United States must go back to the town they were born in to register, be counted in a census, and pay their taxes, on December 25th, every year, what would that do to the celebration of Christmas?

Another event that surrounded the birth of Christ that would not be duplicated in the celebration of Christmas is the murder of innocent young boys, aged 2 years or less. Matthew 2.16 states, "then Herod, when he saw that he was deceived by the wisemen [magi], was exceedingly angry; and he sent forth and put to death all the male children who were in Bethlehem and in all its districts, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had determined from the wisemen."

You see, there are legitimate events surrounding the birth of Christ, paying taxes, registering in a government census, and the murder of innocent boys two years old and younger, that no one would duplicate as a ritual to be continued in the man-made tradition known as Christmas.

Missing from the Bible is any mention of the celebration of the birth of Christ. In the book entitled, "The Acts of the Apostles," which was written by Luke, and is the history of the early church, there is not one mention or indication that neither the Apostles nor the early church celebrated the birth of Christ. This begs the question, if Christians should celebrate the birth of Christ, why didn't they? Obviously, something must have happened between now and then that brought about this passionate celebration of Christmas. Was it an extra-biblical revelation that informed someone that the Apostles and the early church missed something? Imagine, 100 years after the birth of Christ, not one child rushed to the Christmas tree to tear apart a package to see what Santa brought them. Were these early Christian children neglected?

In fact, based on all my research, the soonest after the birth of Christ people began to celebrate was about 200 hundred years later. And then, the when and how of the celebration varied in different geographical locations. Of course, that's what happens when there are no Biblical standards for a particular event. People in various places doing their own thing creating a god in their own image.

SANTA CLAUS

That brings me to Santa Claus. Talk about creating a god. According to a song about Santa Claus, "...he sees you when you're sleeping (all-seeing), he knows when you're awake, he knows if you've been bad or good (all-knowing),..." Of course, we see this jolly, fat man everywhere at this time of the year, (all-present). Santa Claus has been made into a god. In fact, he is the god of Christmas.

THE TRADITIONAL CHRISTMAS STORY

What about the traditional Christmas story? There are differences from the Biblical narrative of the birth of Christ. Nativity scenes are usually a representation or depiction of the traditional Christmas story. There we see mom and a little baby in swaddling clothes with animals looking on. Shepherds coming in from the field where they were watching their flocks by night, where they were told, "a Savior who is Christ the Lord was born in the City of David." Then in many nativity scenes three stately gents with crowns on their heads come to the manger. there's even a song about these fellas called, "We Three Kings." The Bible doesn't mention three kings. In fact, the Bible doesn't mention three of anything, except the three types of gifts that they brought. Some translations say "wise men," while others use the word, "magi," still others use the word, "astrologers." They all agree that these guys came from the East, but no mention of how many there were. Also, these wise men never went to the manger. Matthew 2:11 states, "And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down and worshipped Him. And when they opened their treasures, they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense and myrrh." [NKJV] You can see, these wise men never showed up at the manger, as the traditional Christmas story tells it. but the Bible says something different. However, far be it from us to allow Biblical truth get in the way of a good story.

RESOURCES

If Christmas did not come from the Bible, and I think that's apparent, where did it come from? I had many resources I drew from to get this information. "BAALMAS" Baal's-Mass - Xmas -, by Evangelist Lawrence B. Brunk; "Should A Christian Celebrate Christmas," by Dr. W.R. Crews; "The Truth About Christmas," by R.F. Becker; an article entitled, "Where Is Christ In Christmas," written by David Ingraham and published by "The Gospel Truth," a publication of Southwest Radio Church; "The Plain Truth About Christmas," published by The Worldwide Church of God; "The Case Against Christmas - You Must Decide," published by the Assemblies of Yahweh; and a plethora of single articles that have been sent to me through the years. I've also spent many hours in the library looking up everything I could find about Christmas.

THE WORD "CHRISTMAS"

Let's begin with the word, "Christmas." I've heard many times that words mean things, and that those meanings are important. For this, I quote from the December 15, 1991 issue of, "The Winnower," published by Robert C. Woodard of Lubbock, Texas. "Christmas: Lit. Christ - Mass (according to Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary) Mass is something said and done for a dead person (one who has passed on). There cannot be a mass for Christ because He lives and is not dead." Therefore, the word "Christmas" itself should be enough to let one know that Christmas has nothing to do with the birth of Christ. The word indicates the commemoration of the death of Christ. The American Heritage Dictionary defines 'Mass' this way, In certain Christian Churches, the celebration of the Eucharist."

THE DATE - DECEMBER 25TH

What about the date - December 25th? For this I quote, "BAALMAS," by Evangelist Lawrence B. Brunk.

"Xmas has its roots in paganism. There is no question about this. Read any encyclopedia on the subject. December 25th was a pagan festival day thousands of years BEFORE Jesus was born! (As was Easter which many Christians think is a Christian term related to the resurrection of Jesus. This also is a false teaching and observance.)"

"How then did this particular day - December 25th - ever find it's way into Christian circles as we see today? The pagans were 'sun-worshippers.' Worshipers of Baal, the Sun god. Ezekiel tells us a lot about this as do many other writers in the Scriptures. On December 25th (and the days around it) the Baal-Sun-god worshipers became alarmed about the short days and the long cold nights. They proceeded to take measures to wake up their sun-god and get him back on the job. In order to do this they would build great brush fires and light torches until the days began to lengthen and become warmer. This kind of sun-god Baal worship went on for centuries during the Old Testament period before Christ was born!"

"The early apostolic church, of course, had no part of it and the commission of God through His prophets and apostles warned the people to renounce their heathen and pagan practices and serve the only true God. By the third and fourth centuries, AFTER CHRIST, the Roman Church had apostatized to such an extent that they began to adopt the pagan practices of Baal and sun-god worship. Among them was this pagan thing of December 25th. The apostate church invited the pagans to accept baptism and come into the church. The unconverted pagans, of course, would not give up their heathen religious observances. Then the most terrible thing took place! The apostate Roman Church made a proposition to the pagans that if they would accept baptism and the Eucharist, they could keep their pagan observances and the Church would simply attach Christian events to their pagan religious dates and they would both get along together! Thus the Xmas and Easter business was introduced to the church world. (As were other unscriptural practices.) THE LITTLE BETHLEHEN JESUS WAS BETRAYED INTO THE HANDS OF SINNERS BY NAMING HIS BIRTHDAY AS DECEMBER 25th, WHICH WAS A CENTURIES OLD PAGAN RITE!"

"So, the pagans came in and the honor of our dear Savior went out! The same was true regarding Easter and the resurrection of Jesus. What a shame and what a crime that well-meaning Christians today have convinced themselves that they are doing a good service by insisting on keeping our Savior's birthday in the ages old pagan festival days."
- Evangelist Brunk wrote this in December 1982, when he was sixty-five. I thank God for his insightful article.

HISTORICAL AND BIBLICAL EVIDENCE

There is a plethora of historical evidence that connects Christmas to Baal worship. Why is that important? For that we go to the Bible. Judges 2:11-14 states, "The children of Israel did evil in the sight of the LORD, and served the Baals; and they forsook the LORD God of their fathers ... and they followed other gods from among the gods of the people who were all around them ... and they provoked the LORD to anger. And the anger of the LORD was hot against Israel ......" The Scriptures here talk about God's anger towards those that would serve Baal and the Ashtoreths. And there are other Scriptures that warn against idolatry as well. And since there is so much historical evidence that Christmas is connected to Baal worship, how can Christmas be pleasing to God?

Deuteronomy 12:29-32 states, "When the LORD your God cuts off from before you the nations which you go to dispossess, and you displace them and dwell in their land, take heed to yourself that you are ensnared to follow them, after they are destroyed from before you, and that you do not inquire after their gods, saying, 'How did these nations serve their gods? I will do likewise.' You shall not worship the LORD your God in that way; for every abomination to the LORD which He hates they have done to their gods; for they burn even their sons and daughters in the fire to their gods. Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it." Notice how God forbids his people to worship him in the way the heathen worship their gods. And that is exactly what Christmas is. Yet, most people, even those that call themselves Christians, either can't or won't see it. Probably because it's been shrouded in man-made religious tradition and dogma.

Would you celebrate the birth of Christ by using the rituals of Halloween? Imagine, young boys and girls traveling throughout the city, going from door to door, wearing costumes to make them look like Joseph and Mary, with the girls carrying dolls in swaddling clothes to symbolize baby Jesus. They knock on doors and shout, "blessing or curse." People open their doors and give out candy in wrappings marked gold, frankincense, or myrrh. That sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? And it is. No one would suggest that we do something like that. But, what's the difference between that and what is now called Christmas?

Even when I was a Christmas celebrant, there were things that went on at Christmas time that I disagreed with. I believe it was Jerry Falwell I first heard say that sending money to his ministry is like giving a birthday gift to Jesus. At his church, Thomas Road Baptist Church in Lynchburg, Virginia, they put on something called the human Christmas tree. I believe you even have to pay admission to get into see it. This is highly ridiculous. It's almost as if Pope Liberius himself was Pastor of Thomas Road Baptist Church.

You might ask, "who was Pope Liberius?" He was Pope of the Roman Catholic Church from 352-366A.D. This means he was Pope at the time the apostate Roman Church came up with that hideous proposition that mixed the birth of Christ with pagan observances.

According to John 16:13, Jesus said, "However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will you tell you things to come." Jesus, of course, was speaking to His disciples. Except for Judas Iscariot, they all became apostles. Jesus told them that the "SPIRIT OF TRUTH" would guide them "INTO ALL TRUTH." He also told them that the same Spirit would tell them "THINGS TO COME." But, perhaps most important, Jesus told them that the Spirit "WILL NOT SPEAK ON HIS OWN AUTHORITY." If the Spirit was not speaking on his own authority, then whose? The obvious answer is Christ.

Now, what about this "ALL TRUTH" the Spirit would tell the apostles? Did he tell them that the birth of Christ should be celebrated? If so, then why wasn't it written anywhere in the New Testament? It's obvious, the Spirit of truth by the authority of Christ never told the apostles about any celebration of the birth of Christ, not then or in the future. To say any different then the Spirit of truth failed to give the apostles "ALL TRUTH," and that would make Jesus a liar.

No matter how you look at it, historically or Biblically, there is no authority from God the Father, Jesus the Son, the Holy Spirit, or the apostles to mix the virgin birth of Christ with pagan observances. In fact, it's very much to the contrary. Besides a plethora of Old Testament prophets that warn against such things. In the New Testament there's II Corinthians 6:14-18. Among other things there, it is indicated that the temple of God has no agreement with idols. Yet, here it is, almost 2000 years after the birth of Christ, many are accepting the mixing of the birth of Christ with idolatry. How can this be? And, how can this be at all be pleasing to God? And, what will be the end of those who accept this paganized birth of Christ?

I urge you to read Ezekiel chapters 8&9. Ezekiel 8 talks about abominations in the temple. Note in verse 14, it is stated, "So He brought me to the door of the north gate of the Lord's house; and to my dismay, women were sitting there weeping for Tammuz." The New Compact Bible Dictionary (1976) says this about Tammuz; "a fertility god widely worshiped in Mesopotamia, Syria, and Palestine; equivalent to Osiris in Egypt and Adonis of the Greeks. His consort was the goddess Ishtar (Astarte or Ashtoreth). The only mention of him in the Bible occurs in connection with the custom of women mourning for him (Ezek. 8:14), which being observed at the very gate of the temple of the true God, seemed to the prophet one of the most abominable idolatries." The importance of this mention of Tammuz is that historically he was a central figure in Baal worship.

What happened as a result of the abominations in chapter 8? In chapter 9 we are told that God told a man to go though Jerusalem marking the foreheads of "men who sigh and cry over all the abominations that are done within it." (v.4) In verse 5, God told him what to do with the rest; "Go after him through the city an kill; do not let your eye spare, nor have any pity. Utterly slay old and young men, maidens and little children and women; but do not come near anyone on whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary."

THE SERIOUSNESS OF CELEBRATING CHRISTMAS

Folks, this is how serious it is to mix the birth of Christ with pagan observances, and to continue to celebrate the birth of Christ in this way. It is idolatrous and very displeasing to God. Once you understand this, how can you say it's okay to keep celebrating Christmas? The birth of Christ is a blessed event to be sure. And, because it is a blessed event, don't you agree that our Lord and Savior deserves better than to have His birth mixed with idolatry?

As I often do, I admit that I am but a frail, imperfect human being, limited in knowledge and wisdom. Therefore I urge you to study the truth about Christmas for yourself. Perhaps you'll find different historical or Biblical evidence that I don't know anything about which might even change my mind. But, the historical and Biblical evidence that I have found so far indicates that all I have written in this article is absolutely true.

If what I written so far is absolutely true, shouldn't Christians everywhere repent and abandon this idolatrous celebration? If Christians do repent of this wickedness, God will hear from Heaven, forgive our sins, and heal our land. (see II Chronicles 7:14)

Can Christmas be of God? Study it, and see for yourself. As for me and my house, I will serve the Lord.

All Scripture quotations to this point are from the New King James Version, unless otherwise noted.

THE POINT

The point is not that celebrating Christmas, Easter or Halloween is equated to worshiping  pagan gods. But it is worshipping the true and living God as pagans worshipped their gods, which is also idolatry.   I am sure most of you remember the golden calf, so I won't go into that.  In Deuteronomy 12.1-4 it is written,  “These are the statutes and rules that you shall be careful to do in the land that the Lord, the God of your fathers, has given you to possess, all the days that you live on the earth. 2 You shall surely destroy all the places where the nations whom you shall dispossess served their gods, on the high mountains and on the hills and under every green tree. 3 You shall tear down their altars and dash in pieces their pillars and burn their Asherim with fire. You shall chop down the carved images of their gods and destroy their name out of that place. 4 You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way." [ESV; biblegateway.com]

Notice verse 4. It is a prohibition to Israel from worshiping the "Lord your God" in the way the inhabitants of the land God was giving them worshipped their gods. And that is what Christmas and Easter is. It is the worship of the true and living God using pagan rituals. Something that the Lord our God had told Israel not to do. Why would it be different today? We have the same jealous God Israel did, don't we?

Then of course there is II Corinthians 6.14-18, already quoted.

We are the temple of the living God, and we have no agreement with idols, at least we're not supposed to. And that is what Christmas and Easter are. Sometime ago, in the 4th century AD, the church at Rome made an agreement with the Pagans of Rome, that if they would come into the church and except the sacraments, they can continue their pagan practices. Eventually, someone, just who is debated, whether Pope Julius, Pope Liberius, or Constantine, "Christianized" those pagan practices, and Christmas and Easter came into being.

So, an agreement was made between the church of Rome and the pagans of Rome. Is that something that the temple of the living God should have done? Is it something that the temple of the living God should be continuing today. You decide. As for me and my house, we shall obey the Lord our God.

CHRISTMAS WHYS

Why with all the historical evidence that Christmas has pagan roots do so many Christian claimants today celebrate it?

Why since there is no evidence that Christmas has any Biblical foundation do Christian claimants today celebrate it?

Why since there is no record of Jesus, the apostles, nor the earliest Christians ever celebrated the birth of Christ do Christian claimants today believe it is so important to do so now?

Why since there is so much evidence that Christmas came about by compromises the Roman Catholic Church made with the pagans of Rome can't Christian claimants today see that truth?

Why in light of the commercialization and the violence that goes with it, along with the carousing, and other destructive behaviors  do Christian claimants today vigorously defend such a destructive holiday?

Why when people on Black Friday, the "beginning of the Christmas shopping season," are trampled, pepper sprayed, even murdered, do Christian claimants not wake up and see the truth?

Why when people of average intelligence like myself can learn the truth about Christmas can't Christian claimants today also learn the truth about Christmas?

Why when Scriptures say "do not be conformed to the world," have Christian claimants today conformed to the worldly celebration of Christmas?

Here's another Christmas why:  

"Why December 25? Liberius, Bishop of Rome (it should be remembered that the Catholics consider him as one of their early popes), in 354 A.D. ordered that December 25 be adopted. The choice of this date was probably influenced by the fact that this was the day on which the Romans celebrated the Mithraic feast of the Sun-god. The Roman Saturnalia also came at this time.  'The indications are that the Church in this way grasped the opportunity to turn the people away from a purely pagan observance of the winter solstice to a day of adoration of Christ the Lord. Both St. Cyprian and St. John Chrysostom allude to this thought in their writings' (Collier’s Encyclopedia). The Lincoln Library of Essential Information states that, 'December 25 was already a festive day for the sun god Mithra and appealed to the Christians as an appropriate date to commemorate the birth of Jesus, the 'Light of the World.'  From these statements from reliable sources it is easy to see that Christmas had its origin in a pre-Christian age among the pagans. It was adopted into the so-called 'Christian holidays' by the Roman Catholic Church."
Quoted from: teachingtruth.org

Can anyone answer these Christmas whys?

CHRISTMAS QUESTIONS AND BIBLICAL ANSWERS

Do you read anywhere in Scripture where Jesus celebrated his birth? Do you read anywhere in Scripture where the apostles celebrated the birth of Christ? Do you read anywhere in Scripture where the early church celebrated the birth of Christ? Did anyone in Scripture ever wish anyone a "Merry Christmas"?

There is no Scriptural basis for the celebration of Christmas. That means Christmas came from outside of Scriptural authority. It was the church at Rome that slapped the name "Christmas" on a pagan festival. That's just the plain truth. It is no different than if we took Islam and slapped the name Christianity on it. Or Hinduism. Or Taoism. Whatever religion there is in this world, if we just call it Christianity, that would make it fine. Or, would it? Well, that's how we got Christmas.

Would you like to Christianize voodoo? Just include it in some "Christian" holiday.

It was through this "Christianizing" process we also got Easter and Halloween. Of course, Easter is not even a Christian name. Easter was a pagan holiday long before Christ came. The church at Rome simply mixed the Death, Burial and Resurrection of Christ with it. Easter is the Anglicized form of Ishtar or Astarte.

All this information is available on the internet, or in Encyclopedias.
Are you aware that in colonial days, the United States did not celebrate Christmas? Did you know that in Massachusetts it was against the law to celebrate Christmas? That anyone caught celebrating Christmas was fined, I think $30, and spent some time in jail? Why would the Puritans do that?

America was built by people leaving the religious garbage of the old world. That included Christmas, Easter and Halloween. But, eventually, other religions, such as Catholicism, began making their way to America. And many of them kept their religious traditions such as Christmas, Easter and Halloween, but they did so privately. American Christianity has been declining into paganism ever since. I ask that you look for a book called "Pagan Christianity," by Frank Viola and George Barna. I don't agree with all their conclusions, but their overall  point    is a good one. Many of the rituals in American Christianity have come from paganism. I don't recall what they all are. It doesn't matter to me since I don't do any of them.

Christmas is one of the wicked ways that God's people must turn away from. See II Chronicles 7.14

In a certain forum someone quoted: "One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks - Romans 14.5-6

I have no problem with observing a day "to the Lord." How does one observe a day "to the Lord"? Should that not be based on Scripture? Are you aware that making of the Golden Calf was "to the Lord"? What did God tell the people of Israel regarding worshipping him in the way the people of the land God was giving to Israel worshipped their gods?

See Exodus 20.3-5. Exodus 23.23-24. Exodus 34.11-15. Deuteronomy 4.15-20. Deuteronomy 5.8-11. Deuteronomy 8.18-20. Deuteronomy 12.1-5.

Notice Deuteronomy 12.4, ESV; "You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way." You shall not worship the Lord your God in what way? Answer: The way the pagans or nations worshipped their gods. God's message to Israel was, they must worship Jehovah God the way he dictates, not according to the way the nations or pagans worshipped their gods. Now tell me, why would that be okay today? Why would you set a day aside to celebrate the birth of Christ the way the pagans worshipped their gods?

In all my writings about Christmas, you never once see me write that it is wrong to set a day aside to remember the birth of Christ. But, celebrating the birth of Christ in a pagan way is wrong. It's idolatry. It's sin. Or, is it possible that God is no longer a jealous God?

If you want to esteem one day above another, that's fine. But, do it "to the Lord." Not to pagan gods. This is the same thing the Word of God says in II Corinthians 6.14-18. We may not worship God in the way pagans worship their gods, even if it is called Christmas.
Again, see Deuteronomy 12.29-31.

Does Christianity have the same God as did Israel did? Is God still Jealous?

I can not understand why people that call themselves "Christian" want to mix the birth of Christ with paganism. But they do, at the end of every year.

HERE WE GO AGAIN

Every year at this time, we see capitalism in progress.  People rushing into stores, trampling others to the ground, all in the name of Christmas.  

I have yet to hear that anyone has been injured or killed this year.  But it has happened in recent years.

If Jesus is truly the reason for the season, why are people so selfish?  They can't wait, they got to plow through the crowd trying to be the first person in the doors of whatever store they're at.  If Jesus is the reason for the season, is this the way people should act?  Didn't Jesus say, "Love one another"?  And Scripture also teaches that we should be concerned about the interests and needs of others, not just our own.  Is all the pushing and shoving and trampling an expression of love or being concerned about the needs and interests of others?  

I don't know what motivates this progression of capitalism, but it sure isn't love, or caring about the needs of others.  If that isn't proof that Jesus is not the reason for the season, I don't know what is.  But that doesn't seem to bother Christmas celebrants.  

Christmas in America is not a time of love or caring.  It's a time of selfishness and carousal.  And, most American "Christians" support it.  I wonder how many people that were in the crowds today, pushing and shoving their way into the store claimed to be "Christian."  Seems hypocritical to me.  

CONCLUSION

As I stated in the preface, this is a subject I have probably studied most of, although, Bible prophecy is getting up there.  

In my study of Christmas, I have uncovered much evidence from various sources that, I don't believe it is wrong to say,  Christmas is nothing but Catholicized paganism.  It certainly has no basis in the Bible.   The only question is, are we to follow the Bible, or a man-made tradition?  I prefer following the Bible.

It really amazes me that "Christians" in America  even fight to keep Christ in a holiday that He Himself never put Himself in.  Think about.  When did Jesus put Himself in Christmas?  The answer to that question is, never.  Christ is not, nor ever has been, a part of Christmas regardless of the name.   The name is plainly Catholic, and the practices are plainly pagan.
Back to top Go down
http://line2016.freeforums.net
Share this post on: reddit

Christmas, Catholic by Name, Pagan by Practice :: Comments

No Comment.

Christmas, Catholic by Name, Pagan by Practice

Page 1 of 1