Way of Truth Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Way of Truth Forums

A Forum Site For Christians Seeking the Way of Truth

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Edward Palamar

Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual Empty
PostSubject: Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual   Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 5:19 pm

I spent some time putting the Tertain Harmony and Chord Manual into the works at wikipedia. There is info there about the original version which is available in several formats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Prophet_of_the_Most_High
Back to top Go down
TomL
Admin
TomL

PostSubject: Re: Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual   Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 11:41 pm

If I may ask, what is Tertian Harmony?
Back to top Go down
http://line2016.freeforums.net
Edward Palamar

PostSubject: Re: Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual   Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:09 pm

TomL wrote:
The study of harmony with respect to the third as the base interval. So, the base series is 1,3,5,7,9,11,13.
Back to top Go down
TomL
Admin
TomL

PostSubject: Re: Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual   Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 1:16 am

Edward Palamar wrote:
TomL wrote:
The study of harmony with respect to the third as the base interval. So, the base series is 1,3,5,7,9,11,13.

I still don't understand. What does "Tertian Harmony" mean?
Back to top Go down
Edward Palamar

PostSubject: Re: Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual   Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 11:49 pm

TomL wrote:
I still don't understand. What does "Tertian Harmony" mean?
There is secundal harmony (built with respect to the interval of the second), quartal harmony (with respect to the fourth), and quintal (with respect to the fifth), to name some others. Tertian Harmony centers on the interval of the third as the main, cohesive building block of harmony, and as a general rule, everything pertinent to such building is expressed with regard to that interval.
Back to top Go down
TomL
Admin
TomL

PostSubject: Re: Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual   Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 1:44 am

How does that relate to how the notes are played?
Back to top Go down
Edward Palamar

PostSubject: Re: Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual   Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 10:37 pm

TomL wrote:
How does that relate to how the notes are played?
At a basic level, there are only melodic (a single note to another note) and harmonic (two or more notes sounding simultaneously) intervals. That question also beckons overall instrument technique per performer, as well as how they are written. The harmonic system is an intricacy in the reckoning of compositional structure, it is more like a specific language (dialect) within the context of the oft statement, "Music is a universal language."

It is possible to write extremely difficult music that only a computer could perform, all the while adhering to the norms of tertian harmony.

Interpretation (how) is usually left to the performer(s) unless specified.
Back to top Go down
TomL
Admin
TomL

PostSubject: Re: Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual   Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 2:41 am

I did take guitar lessons for a short time, until I had hand surgery on my left hand that prevent me from doing chords and moving my hand up and down the frets.

When you talk about note played simultaneously, are you talking about chords?
Cool
Back to top Go down
Edward Palamar

PostSubject: Re: Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual   Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 9:36 pm

Yes. Two or more notes played simultaneously (or referenced as in composition, or in sequence as regards arpeggios) constitute a chord.
Back to top Go down
TomL
Admin
TomL

PostSubject: Re: Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual   Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 3:57 am

So the number of notes in a chord determine the type of chord it is. A three note chord would be a tertiary chord. Would that be correct? Question
Back to top Go down
Edward Palamar

PostSubject: Re: Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual   Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 12:17 am

I've never used that term. The basic 3 note chord is called a triad. Chords of the 7th contain 4, of the 9th - 5, the 11th - 6, and the 13ths have 7.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual   Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual Empty

Back to top Go down

Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Way of Truth Forums  :: General Discussion Forums :: Music-
Jump to: