Way of Truth Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Way of Truth Forums

A Forum Site For Christians Seeking the Way of Truth

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Head of the Church

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TomL
Admin
TomL

Head of the Church Empty
PostSubject: Head of the Church   Head of the Church EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 11:06 pm

HEAD OF THE CHURCH

Ephesians 1.22&23, when read in context, says that, "(Jehovah God) put all things in subjection (under the feet of Christ), and gave (Christ) as head over all things to the church, which is (the body of Christ), the fulness of (Jehovah God) who fills all in all."  - NASB with inserts.  

It's plain according to the writings of Paul here in Ephesians 1 that Christ has been given to be head over all things to the church, and nowhere in Scripture is it written that Christ relinquished his headship over the church.  Although, there are those that believe in Matthew 16.18 Christ gave Peter to be head of the church.  Let's say for a moment that's true.  What Jesus said in Matthew 28.18 and the writings of Paul were after what Jesus said in Matthew 16.18.  And they were both after the resurrection of Christ.  So, even if Christ did give Peter to be head of the church in Matthew 16.18, it changed after the resurrection of Christ.

Jesus said in Matthew 16.18, "I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church, and the gates Hades will not overpower it."  NASB.  Then in verse 19 Jesus said, "And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven."    

Did Jesus give authority to Peter?  From these verses, it would seem so.  But, did Jesus give Peter authority that circumvented his own authority?  Absolutely not!  Notice from Matthew 16.18 to whom the church belongs.  Jesus said, "I will build My church."  The pronoun "my" followed by an item shows ownership of that item.  If I say "my car," does that not mean I own the car?  When Christ said, "My church," he was showing ownership, which he gave to no one, not even Peter.  

So, the ultimate head of the church was and is and always shall be Christ.  Any authority he gave to anyone, including Peter, was still under the authority of Christ.  So, even today, Christ is head over all things to the church, which is the body that belongs to Christ.  Nowhere is it written that Christ gave his authority to anyone.  

Christ is the head of the church, ever since Jehovah God gave him to be so.  No one has the right to usurp that authority as some try to do.  The proper response of the church is to be obedient to Christ, and not to assume authority it has not been given.  Only Christ has been given to be head over all things to the church.  Nowhere is it written that Peter has been given as head over all things to the church.  Nowhere is it written that Peter's successors has been given to be head over all things to the church.  Anyone who claims this are liars.
Back to top Go down
http://line2016.freeforums.net
slybelvedere

Head of the Church Empty
PostSubject: Re: Head of the Church   Head of the Church EmptyFri May 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Quote :
Christ is the head of the church
Amen!
Back to top Go down

Head of the Church
Page 1 of 1