Way of Truth Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Way of Truth Forums

A Forum Site For Christians Seeking the Way of Truth

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Name of God

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TomL
Admin
TomL

The Name of God Empty
PostSubject: The Name of God   The Name of God EmptyWed Mar 25, 2015 8:07 am

THE NAME OF GOD

Really, I can't understand why this is such a big deal. Yet, it has become one. "The most important of God's Names is the four-letter Name represented by the Hebrew letters Yod-Hei-Vav-Hei (YHVH). http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm

Since they are Hebrew letters, can you think of a better source? However, there are some who claim that the letter should be YHWH, and pronounced "Yah-Wey." And there are different variations all the way to "Jehovah." And, in my prayer time this morning (3-25-15) I stumbled on a new one that I feel comfortable with. "Javah," which is not too different than what we sometimes call "coffee." Of course, it is actually pronounced, "Yah - vah."

Well, in my prayer time, I actually called God, "Javah," and he didn't seem to mind. So, those who would like to, every morning, you can talk to Javah over a cup of java. I'm sure he wouldn't mind. So, this morning, as you drink your coffee, put away that newspaper, and talk to Javah.

I guess what is the most important thing about the name of Javah is what it means. It was in Exodus 3 when Moses famously asked Javah for his ID. God responded, "I AM THAT I AM." And he told Moses to say to the people of Israel that "I AM" has sent you. The few dictionaries I have that deal with this says it means, "I exist." It is explained in various commentaries and articles that Javah was telling Moses that he is "self-existent." That leads to the idea that Javah is eternal. And that is what is truly important. To understand that Javah is, was, and always will be.

Psalm 41.13 states, "Blessed be Jehovah, the God of Israel, From everlasting and to everlasting. Amen, and Amen." ASV. And this is stated at several places throughout the Bible. So, this we know about Javah, he is from everlasting to everlasting. And that is what is really important what ever you call him.
Back to top Go down
http://line2016.freeforums.net
clark thompson

The Name of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Name of God   The Name of God EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 7:33 am

They have different bible that are referred to as sacred name bibles that use the names that are God instead of Lord and instead of God. There is more than just one name given to God.
Back to top Go down
TomL
Admin
TomL

The Name of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Name of God   The Name of God EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 1:02 pm

clark thompson wrote:
They have different bible that are referred to as sacred name bibles that use the names that are God instead of Lord and instead of God. There is more than just one name given to God.

There is indeed. The linked article makes that point.

Thanks for you comment.
Back to top Go down
TomL
Admin
TomL

The Name of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Name of God   The Name of God EmptySat Mar 28, 2015 7:25 am

The more I study the name of God, the more I am convinced the correct pronunciation of the Hebrew lettering, "YHVH" is YaH-VaH. Anglicized to become Javah.
Back to top Go down
TomL
Admin
TomL

The Name of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Name of God   The Name of God EmptyMon Mar 30, 2015 4:51 am

I think it is plain from various sources that God's name in Hebrew, using English lettering is YHVH. So, the question is, how do we pronounce that in English? We would have to use vowels. Then, do we put vowels in between each consonant, like this, YaHaVaH? Or do we just form 2 syllables, like this, YaH-VaH?

When we do insert vowels, which do we insert? I'm using the "a" because it's the first vowels, plus it best approximates the natural sound of each letter, at least in English. At least according to the Y song.....

The Y as a vowel can sound like a long E, as in happy. Long I as in My. Short I as in Myth. The only thing I could find that pronounced it as a consonant is the Y song above, and they pronounced it like, "Ya." Hence the first syllable in YHVH is YaH. We find this in the word, Halleluyah, or Hallelujah. That word in the Hebrew means to praise Yah. In English Bibles it is usually transliterated. But when translated, it is rendered, "Praise ye the LORD," or something similar. So, I believe it is safe the say, the first syllable in YHVH is Yah. In combinations of A and H, the H is silent. So we get Ya.

Now what about the V? In many cultures the W and the V sound are interchangeable. However, when you pronounce the V, I just learned, there is a short E sound, like Ve. So the second syllable would be VeH. Hence we come to , "YaVe," or, "Yahveh." Now remember, the A and E are short, so it's not Yay-Vee.

Of course, placement of vowels between Anglicized versions of Hebrew letters is arbitrary. But, from what I just learned, Yahveh seems to be the closest.
Back to top Go down
slybelvedere

The Name of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Name of God   The Name of God EmptyFri May 29, 2015 5:32 pm

That is interesting, I like hearing Hebrew words as they were what were spoken in Jesus' time. When I pray to God, I always say "Dear God" and end in "Jesus' Name".... would that be a correct way to talk to God when I pray?
Back to top Go down
TomL
Admin
TomL

The Name of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Name of God   The Name of God EmptyFri May 29, 2015 6:02 pm

Your way is fine.
Back to top Go down
slybelvedere

The Name of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Name of God   The Name of God EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 2:57 am

Cool, thanks for clarifying!
Back to top Go down
TomL
Admin
TomL

The Name of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Name of God   The Name of God EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 12:46 am

slybelvedere wrote:
Cool, thanks for clarifying!

Just wanted to add, I believe God is multi-lingual. So, whether you say Jesus, or Jesu (Latin), or Jesus (Spanish), or by whatever other language, it's fine. If Hebrew must be used as some seem to think, the non-Hebrew speaking world is in big trouble.

The same is true for God's name.

May Javah bless you. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Name of God Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Name of God   The Name of God Empty

Back to top Go down

The Name of God
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Way of Truth Forums  :: WAY OF TRUTH Christian Forums :: General Christian Forum-
Jump to: