Way of Truth Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Way of Truth Forums

A Forum Site For Christians Seeking the Way of Truth

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Christian Purity Through Doctrinal Unity

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomL

Christian Purity Through Doctrinal Unity Empty
PostSubject: Christian Purity Through Doctrinal Unity   Christian Purity Through Doctrinal Unity EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 7:50 am

Ever since the church has been established there have movements attempting to establish pure Chistianity. One such movement even got it's name from their attempt to do so, and that was the Puritans. A big part of Christian purity is doctrinal unity which these various movements tried to impose. But their attempts have all failed as all they did was create more and more disunity, resulting in the myriad of denominations we have today.

The attempt to establish Christian purity in our time would a noble cause. But, I see no movement attempting this in our time. We seem to be so comfortable in our divisivness that, it seems, the attempt to establish Christian purity through doctrinal unity today would be futile. As long as theological academia is so steeped in their own private interpretations of Scripture, it would be difficult to sway the masses, for the masses are divided into many different groups following their theological leaders.

However, I believe the attempt must be made again at Christian purity through doctrinal unity. Eventhough to attempt to reform the religious mess commonly called the "church," would probably be an exercise in futility. Therefore, those of us who are in agreement with these points, we should reach out to the unchurched.

Is the attempt at Christian purity through doctrinal purity important? I believe that it is. Let's look at a few Scriptures.

First, I Corinthians 1.10-13, from the New King James Version (NKJV).

Quote :
Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe’s household, that there are contentions among you. Now I say this, that each of you says, “I am of Paul,” or “I am of Apollos,” or “I am of Cephas,” or “I am of Christ.” Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

In this passage, we have doctrinal unity. We are to be speaking the same thing so that there will be no divisions. We are also to be perfectly joined together in the same mind and judgment But today, as then, there are many contentions among us. The seeds of division were apparent even then. Some were followers of Paul, some of Apollos, some of Cephas, and there were those claiming to be followers of Christ. The names are different but the attitude is the same. Some are followers of John Calvin, some of Martin Luther, some of Rick Warren, and some of Joel Osteen, and still some claiming to be the true church of Christ. No That is not the way it should be. This, Paul said, is carnallity; I Corinthians 3.3

Besides a plea for doctrinal unity, scriptures also warn about following every doctrine that comes along.

Ephesians 4.14: " that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting,"

I Tmothy 1.3-7: "As I urged you when I went into Macedonia—remain in Ephesus that you may charge some that they teach no other doctrine, nor give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which cause disputes rather than godly edification which is in faith. Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience, and from sincere faith, from which some, having strayed, have turned aside to idle talk, desiring to be teachers of the law, understanding neither what they say nor the things which they affirm."

II Timothy 4. 3,4: "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers;and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables."

Matthew 15.9: " And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men
."
- cf. Mark 7.7 - see also Colossians 3.20-22; Hebrews 13.9

II John 1.9: "Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son."

Is doctrinal unity important to re-establish Christian purity? Scripture indicates that it is. The Scriptures above states to have unity we must have doctrinal unity. We are told to abide in the doctrine of Christ, and we are warned about strange doctrines and fables. We are warned about the doctrines and commandments of men.

It is plain, doctrinal disunity brings about division. But, down through history God has always had a remnant, and the remnant of God is still here, and the rest would be wise to listen to us, for it is we of the remnant that have the truth that leads to eternal life, for doctrinal disunity is one more road to eternal damnation. There are many roads to Hell, but only one road to eternal life, which is Christ.

study

Back to top Go down

Christian Purity Through Doctrinal Unity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christian Purity Through Doctrinal Unity   Christian Purity Through Doctrinal Unity EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 12:09 pm

Didymus wrote:
II John 1.9: "Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son."
Remember that this letter specifically tells us what the doctrine of Christ is; "Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh". Note also that this the doctrine (singular) of Christ. The "commandment" was also singular here; "that we love one another".

As for sound doctrine, what is it? Scripture tells us by showing us what is contrary to it.
1 Timothy 1:9,10
"the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine".

Sound doctrine is "according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God" (v 11), not interpretations or understanding. Sound doctrine is Christ's work here on earth and His character.

Here is sound doctrine: Titus 2:1-10
"But as for you, speak the things which are proper for sound doctrine: that the older men be sober, reverent, temperate, sound in faith, in love, in patience; the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things— that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed. Likewise, exhort the young men to be sober-minded, in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility, sound speech that cannot be condemned, that one who is an opponent may be ashamed, having nothing evil to say of you. Exhort bondservants to be obedient to their own masters, to be well pleasing in all things, not answering back, not pilfering, but showing all good fidelity, that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior in all things."

The doctrine of God is 'worn', not merely 'understood'.
Back to top Go down

Christian Purity Through Doctrinal Unity
Page 1 of 1