Way of Truth Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Way of Truth Forums

A Forum Site For Christians Seeking the Way of Truth

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Institutional Church

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomL
Admin
TomL

The Institutional Church Empty
PostSubject: The Institutional Church   The Institutional Church EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 3:58 pm

THE INSTITUTIONAL CHURCH

Ever since hearing the term "institutional church," I have wondered about it. Is the idea of an institutional church foreign to Scripture as some would suggest? I finally come to the conclusion that it's not.

The root of "institution" is "institute," which means, to set up or establish. Well the church, which is the body of Christ, has been set up or established by Christ through the apostles who were guided by the Holy Spirit. So, the church of Jesus Christ is an institution.

So, what is the problem? The contemporary institutional church is not the same as the institution that was instituted by Christ through the apostles. Today's institutional church does not follow the Bible.

For example, today's institutional church is denominated. Christ and the apostles taught unity. The church instituted by Christ through the apostles did not mix the birth, death, burial and resurrection of Christ with pagan festivals and rituals. The first generation institutional church followed the principles taught in 2nd Corinthians 6.14-18.

The first Christians were not perfect, that is why we have all the teachings we have in the New Testament. Today, we have those teachings, so we are without excuse.

The true institutional church that Christ established through the apostles should be under the authority of Christ. (See Matthew 28.18, Ephesians 1.22-23). The government of the true Christian church is authoritarian, with Christ as the sole authority. But that is not true of today's institutional church. It is to this degree that I agree with those who are "exposing the institutional church." I am not, however, opposed to the concept of the church being an institution since it is.
Back to top Go down
http://line2016.freeforums.net

The Institutional Church
Page 1 of 1